White Collar Crimes
Troy White Collar Crime Lawyer
Defending Those Accused of White Collar Crimes in Dayton, OH
If you have been accused of a white collar crime, you need the help of an experienced Troy white collar crime attorney. At Lopez, Severt & Pratt Co., our white collar crime lawyers in Troy have the skills needed to defend you against white collar crimes, and we will work tirelessly to seek the best possible result for your case.
Types of White Collar Crimes
White collar crimes are nonviolent offenses that involve fraud or deceit, typically committed in business settings. These crimes are often committed by people in positions of power or authority, and they are often associated with large sums of money. Because they often involve complex financial transactions, white collar crimes are often investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and prosecuted by federal prosecutors.
White collar crimes can include:
- Fraud: Fraud involves deliberate deception to gain an unlawful advantage, typically financially. This can include various forms such as securities fraud, bank fraud, insurance fraud, tax fraud, mortgage fraud, and credit card fraud.
- Embezzlement: Embezzlement occurs when a person entrusted with managing another's money or assets misappropriates those funds for personal use or unauthorized purposes.
- Money Laundering: Money laundering involves disguising the origins of illegally obtained funds to make them appear legitimate. It typically involves a series of transactions and complex financial mechanisms to obscure the true source of the money.
- Insider Trading: Insider trading refers to trading stocks, bonds, or other securities based on non-public information that can affect their value. It is illegal to use such privileged information for personal financial gain.
- Bribery and Corruption: Bribery involves offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting something of value to influence the actions of an individual in a position of power, often for personal gain. Corruption refers to the abuse of power for personal or organizational benefit, often involving bribery and other illicit practices.
- Intellectual Property Theft: This crime involves the unauthorized use, reproduction, or distribution of copyrighted material, patents, trademarks, or trade secrets belonging to someone else.
- Identity Theft: Identity theft occurs when someone wrongfully obtains and uses another person's personal information, such as Social Security numbers, credit card details, or bank account information, for fraudulent purposes.
- Bribery: Bribery refers to the act of offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting something of value with the intent to influence the actions or decisions of an individual in a position of power or authority. The purpose of bribery is typically to gain an unfair advantage or to secure preferential treatment.
- Forgery: Forgery involves creating, altering, or imitating documents, signatures, or other objects with the intent to deceive or defraud others. It often includes the creation of fake or counterfeit documents that appear genuine, such as forged checks, identification cards, or legal contracts.
- Tax Evasion: Tax evasion refers to the illegal act of intentionally evading or avoiding the payment of taxes that one owes to the government. It involves deliberate efforts to conceal income, inflate expenses, manipulate financial records, or provide false information on tax returns to reduce the amount of tax liability.
White collar crimes are often prosecuted as federal crimes because they involve interstate commerce, banking, or other federal laws. If you are convicted of a federal crime, you could face prison time, fines, and restitution.
Our white collar crime attorneys in Troy can help you understand the charges against you and your legal options. We will fight to protect your rights, and we will seek to have your charges reduced or dismissed if possible.
Contact a White Collar Crime Attorney in Troy, OH
If you have been charged with a white collar crime, we urge you to contact our white collar crime attorneys in Troy. We will listen to your story and provide you with honest, straightforward legal advice. We will work to seek the best possible outcome for your case, such as a reduction in charges or an acquittal at trial.
“He puts 100% into his clients.” - Christopher D.
“They are thorough, influential, capable, and great corporate citizens as well.” - Ted R.
“These are true problem solvers & everyone in the firm is top-notch!” - Josh L.